Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas

Chicken and Avocado EnchiladasI am not a huge fan of enchiladas, they are okay, but I would probably prefer anything else on a TexMex menu.  Except for tamales...hate tamales.  Anyhow, if I were to have a dream enchilada, these would be it.  Once I made the deluxe tomatillo sauce, I knew I needed to try it on enchiladas.  And I needed them to be enchiladas that I would actually enjoy.  I came up with this on my own and I was really pleased with the result.  C wasn't as thrilled, his plate was cleaned, but he thought the tortillas were too soggy.  This could easily be corrected by using corn tortillas, but I much prefer flour. 
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas

½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ jalapeno, minced
juice from ½ lime
1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded
½ cup shredded Colby jack cheese
1 avocado, pitted and diced

1 cup deluxe tomatillo sauce, recipe follows
6 flour tortillas
¼ cup shredded Colby jack cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an oven proof dish with 2 tablespoons of the deluxe tomatillo sauce. In a medium bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, jalapeno, lime juice, chicken and ½ cup of the cheese. Stir well to combine. Add the avocado and toss gently to combine. Microwave the tortillas for ~30 seconds to soften. Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture, roll each up and place seam side down in the prepared dish. After all the tortillas have been rolled, pour the remaining tomatillo sauce over top. Top with ¼ cup cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more. Serve.

Deluxe Tomatillo Sauce

1 can (28 ounces) tomatillos, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ jalapeno, minced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 cup sour cream

In a saucepan, combine tomatillos, broth, cumin, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Return to heat, stir in the sour cream and cook 3 minutes more until heated through.
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Jaida said...

This looks/sounds amazing!! I can't wait to try it out...chicken, avocado & tomatillo sauce...DELISH!

Erin said...

That's funny, Brent and I are the reverse for tortillas. I like the corn and he prefers the flour.

Kelsey said...

Yummy! I just made avocado enchiladas with a red sauce, but Michael and I love tomatillos, so I'll be giving this one a try soon. Thanks!

Jey said...

These look great!

Michelle said...

I love avocado's, this sounds delish!

Sarah and Rob said...

Can not wait to try this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...